This series focuses on Fluent Forever’s alphabetical list of the 625 most commonly used words in any language, presented 10 words at a time with their Italian translation.
Click here for Week 1 of High Frequency Italian.
“Not all words are created equal: we use certain words far more often than others…We get a lot of mileage out of our most frequent words…With only a thousand words [of your target language] you’ll recognize nearly 75 percent of what you read. With two thousand, you’ll hit 80 percent.”
–Gabriel Wyner, Fluent Forever
Word bank: April, arm, army, art, artist, attack (noun), August, author, baby, back (noun). aprile*, braccio, esercito, arte, artista, aggressione, agosto*, scrittore/scrittrice, bambino/bambina, schiena.
*months are not capitalized in Italian
Level: Give it a Try
- Aprile is a month in spring. Agosto is a summer month.
- L’esercito prepares for the aggressione.
- Un artista/Un’artista creates arte. Uno scrittore/Una scrittrice writes books.
- If you raise your bracci in the air it will also stretch your schiena.
- Aprile e` un mesa di primavera. Agosto e` un mesa di estate.
- L’esercito prepara per l’aggressione.
- Un artista/Un’artista crea l’arte. Uno scrittore/Una scrittrice scrive i libri.
- Se si alzano i tuoi bracci nell’aria, sara` anche allungare la schiena.
Practice these high-frequency words on Quizlet (please be sure to follow Prayers and Piazzas here at WordPress, via email or by liking my Facebook page).
Helpful Grammar Links
- Definite articles: Italian uses definite articles (“the”) much more than English, and each “the” can be different depending on if the noun in question is male or female.
- Indefinite articles (“a”/”an”)
Forvo, Google Translate Content resources: Fluent Forever, WordReference
Buon divertimente a tutti! Have fun everyone! This post first appeared on Prayers and Piazzas.