It’s been a pretty amazing October. So much has filled my heart with gratitude that I feel beyond thankful, I am more in a state of disbelief.
October is a month which I’ve always enjoyed, situated between a fun but often frenzied summer and before the holidays hit. I enjoy catching my breath, and the feel of fall in the air, even though fall comes in tiny chunks in my part of the world.
Here’s what filled my heart with joy recently:
- Incredible travel; the opportunity to meet someone whom I never imagined; BlogLove for Prayers & Piazzas. Browse this post and this post for all the details!
- Family harmony: all my peeps are humming along nicely in the things which keep them busy. I’m grateful for their health and joy; I’m thankful that the kids are settled in their school and activities, and that everyone is moving forward happily.
- The age gap: I love having teenagers in the house and being a part of their world. Life with them is very fun. But I also love still having a little one in the house, and seeing life through the eyes of an 8-year-old.
- Elementary school Flag Salute: Every other Friday is a school-wide assembly to recognize student achievement and various announcements. admittedly, it’s often looooong to sit through. But the real sweet comes at the end, when 1,000 or so students sing a patriotic song and then say the pledge of allegiance together. Hearing these in their little-kid voices gives me tears, and reminds me of what’s truly important — our kiddos.
- Dates with Daughter: trying to mix in more of the fun stuff after school (getting a treat together or exploring a new park) and less of the obligations (running errands).
- Loved this message at the end of the animated movie “Book of Life” playing now: “Write your own story.” This prompted a great discussion with Daughter about the importance of following your heart and being true to yourself when making choices in life.
- Finally, looking forward to my 17th year in a row of trick-or-treating with the kids! (Okay, only one kid wants me tagging along with them now). This time next week, we’ll have a tempting stock of mini-snickers in the house. Oh dear.
I’m a bit out of practice in writing my Sunday Sweets & Smiles list — I haven’t posted one since July! But this summer, two different people in the same week shared with me that one of their favorite things on the blog is this Sweets & Smiles series. They didn’t realize that I had been contemplating giving up this feature, since I haven’t been posting about my gratitude as consistently as I had planned. I took their kind words as a little whisper of encouragement and guidance from my Guardian Angel to continue. And as a reminder to be a bit more gentle on myself.
Writing a gratitude list actually makes me feel more grateful. Sharing my gratitude in writing helps me appreciate the tiny joys of everyday life. I invite you to start keeping your own list, especially as we approach the hectic holiday season. Vorrei scrivere la mia lista in inglese e italiano – I would like to write my list in English and Italian – to help meet my goal of writing in Italian every day.
What gratitudes, big and small, made you smile this month?
I invite you to share in the comment section below.
Blessings to all for a beautiful week.
Sunday Sweets and Smiles is a monthly post on gratitude. My thanks, as always, to The Duck and The Owl, for sharing their idea with other bloggers.